icon

Translate

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Top Tips For Breaking Writer’s Block. What is your method to beat it?

I am currently writing my first novel. It’s not exactly my first attempt, but it is my first serious project that I intend to reach the end of. I have easily spent hundreds of hours writing, editing and researching, but am only at around 40,000 words. This is a work that I am very proud of, even if I will never be able to get interest from a REAL publisher.
In order to write a story that flows properly I have a chart of events (time line) that is several pages long, a listing of characters which contains details about them and an additional list of items that need to be addressed in future chapters. I have an idea of where I want the novel to go but am letting each chapter develop on their own.

With this being said, writer’s block can sometimes delay my writing for up to a month. I have found that for me, the best way to fight through this barrier it to just keep on writing. I focus on what the next chapter should be about and just write. Even if the whole chapter is a bust and is scrapped, at least the beast known as writer’s blog can be somewhat combated.


If you are a writer, accomplished or aspiring, as this phenomenon afflicts all types, what is your method for beating writer’s block?

No comments:

Post a Comment